Friday, March 13, 2015

What's the deal?

My friends and I often discuss how "difficult" our lives are...and then we reflect on the fact that we have it made.  We are married to wonderful men or are experiencing the fun of single life.  We have our careers or are getting to be full time moms.  You name it, we have THAT issue. We USED to be skinny or we want to lose just 5 lbs.  We don't know if we can afford to get massages and mani/pedis.  We have what I refer to as "first world problems (FWP)."  We are truly blessed to have wonderful lives with no real worries, and yet we are constantly "working through" issues.  This is not meant to demean the fact that so many are suffering the world or to be insensitive to that suffering.  Take it at face value-FWP are real ;).

I am a SAHM who is lucky enough to work PRN on occasion while my parents or sister-in-law watch my 5 1/2 month old baby girl (BG).  Prior to having BG, I was working my way up the corporate ladder and in 4 years had worked my way into a management role.  I was a career-driven woman married to my best friend.  We had speculated about getting pregnant for years and we elated to be having a baby.  
We has many conversations about our family structure once the baby was born.  My husband was pro-SAHM; he wanted to be the bread-winner while I raised our children.  I wanted to be a mom more than anything in the world but was concerned about finances and giving up a career that I loved.  How could we afford to be a single-income family while setting up retirement and college funds?  What would we do without an emergency fund?  We just couldn't afford it.  And yet, here we are today and I am a SAHM.  We'll get into the nitty gritty later, but for now, you get the gist...

Tata for now,

Hotty Botty

No comments:

Post a Comment